Draftsman, Building Designers, Drafting Services - Sydney

Need a Draftsman or Building Designer?

Whether you're after simple drafting services or the assistance of an experienced building designer, we can help. RenovatePlans has a long history of providing high quality building design and drafting services to many happy clients.

Our team guide you step by step from the initial meeting to approval and even throughout the construction phase.

If you would like to know about how the whole process works, check out our blog post on the 5 Step Design Process.

Thank you Macky, it has a been a real pleasure dealing with you through this process.
You have been extremely responsive and attended to all matters promptly.
Even when things looked like they were going off track, you were very quick to find a solution.
You were also very patient with my many questions!
I especially appreciated your time in be able to meet with me outside of normal business hours. This was a real help to us.
I would not hesitate in recommending you, as you have certainly made this journey as easy as possible.
— Brook Holland | Lilyfield Renovation

See more testimonials from our happy clients here.


From small scale carports and detached garages to complicated renovations and new houses or even multi-dwelling housing we can help. Our team of professionals cater to your needs and deliver an efficient service aligned with your requirements and local or state council guidelines and regulations.

Duplex Exterior

Commercial & industrial:

Are you seeking approval for a new shop fit out or proposing a change of use application that needs plans? If you want reliable and speedy services to get your business up and running urgently, don't wait - contact us. We can have your shop fit out prepared in a few days if absolutely urgent.

  • Cafés
  • Chemists
  • Daycare centres
  • Factories and warehouses
  • Gas and service stations
  • Medical centres
  • Pharmacies
  • Physiotherapist clinics
  • Restaurants
  • Real estate marketing plans
  • Shop fit-outs

Name *
By providing us your address, we are able to check for any codes that can affect your project and give you the best possible advice.

Sustainable Building Designers

We design for the future.

Sustainability is a major component of our design philosophy and is utilised to lower your energy bills as well as saving the planet.

Our team are educated on solar passive principles as well as solar friendly materials and energy efficient building products. Orientation is a very important consideration when considering solar passive design.

All living areas should be orientated to the north to admit direct sunlight in the winter and block it in the summer through the use of eaves, shading devices and awnings. Bedrooms are orientated to the east to receive morning sun light which is a beautiful way to start the day!

All non-habitable areas are orientated to the west, which receives a sharp afternoon glare. This is not the kind of sunlight wanted in a living area so where possible, west facing areas should be garages or other non-habitable rooms.

To further our sustainable design, a BASIX® certificate is obtained for all renovations over $50,000 outlining ratings of appliances and taps, awning/eave requirements and insulative properties required for your development.

What does a Draftsman do?

Similar to an architect, a draftsman prepares building plans for all kinds of residential, commercial and industrial projects.

In the past, a draftsman would work under the guidance of an architect and do all the detailing of a design sketch. Through the advancement of CAD technologies, the industry changed and so did the role of the common draftsman.

Now, complete building packages are prepared by draftsmen/building designers. The Building Designers Association of Australia estimates that 75-80% of residential work is completed by draftsmen/designers.


Common costs associated with developments?

When arranging finance for prospective building works it is important to take into consideration some of the associated costs that may possibly be involved:

Building plan approval
A $17.50 fee charged by Sydney water accessible via the Sydney water tap in website. This fee is to confirm no assets owned by Sydney water will be affected by the construction of your development.

Development application fee
Council charge a fee to process the development as well as the administration involved such as neighbour notification & electronic file management.

Construction certificate fee
Construction certificates are required to certify your development will be in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and structural standards and codes. A construction certificate is needed for any construction works followed by an approved development application - unless the project was approved as complying development and received a complying development certificate. This stage addresses the builder/owner builder and required insurances. A notice of commencement of work must be lodged with council 2 days prior to work beginning.

Long service levy
The current rate is 0.35%, required for any projects costing over $25,000 and is payable on the long service corporation website. The NSW Government makes long service payments to building and construction workers. This fee may be reduced if you hold an owner builder permit and your own labour is involved in the works.

Road opening permit
A permit required by council for any road opening. Common reasons this is required may be connections to stormwater, sewer, electricity or gas.

Section 149 certificate
This is a certificate from your local council based on the Local Environmental Plan (LEP) and outlines the zone as well as any constraints the property is situated within such as bushfire or flood zones.

We provide all drawings needed!

The following terms are part of our services and included in our documentation package. Click on any of the terms to get a drop down explanation. For your convenience we have attached an image to each item to further the description.

+ What Is A Cost Summary Report?

A cost summary report is a breakdown of all costs associated with the project. Council typically require this for development applications.

+ What Is A Demolition Plan?

A demolition plan is a scaled drawing which shows all structures being demolished as part of the works. For more information click here.

+ What Is A Site Analysis Plan?

A site analysis plan is another DA requirement, including information about the location, context, neighbourhood and climate.

+ What Is A Site Plan?

At RenovatePlans, the difference with our site plan and site analysis plan is the site plan is a dimensioned construction drawing where the site analysis plan is a more informative urban planning type drawing.

+ What Is A Floor Plan?

A floor plan is essentially a map view or layout at one level of a building. Floor plans are scaled drawings with dimensions, room names, window and doors shown in relation to the property boundaries.

+ What Is A Roof Plan?

A roof plan is a scaled dimensioned drawing which shows details of the roof including ridge lines, slope/pitch, gullys and sizes in relation to the property boundaries.

+ What Is An Elevation?

An elevation is a flat view looking directly at the facade of a building, dependant on the direction it faces. Example: The "north" or "northern" elevation of a building would be the face which is facing north.

+ What Is A Section?

A section is an imaginary line cutting through a plan and creating a "cut through" projection view. This showns the levels of the floor, walls, roof and other elements in relation to the ground level as well as key details required for your project.

+ What Is A Shadow Diagram?

A shadow diagram is an architectural drawing required by council for any new dwellings and most renovations/extensions. A shadow diagram is measured at the summer solstice (December 21st), winter solstice (June 21st) and the equinox (either March 21 or September 21). The times required are usually 9am, 12 noon and 3pm.

+ What Is A Schedule Of Materials & Finishes?

A schedule of materials & finishes is another council requirement. This plan is usually the view as seen from the street of the dwelling indicating all proposed materials to be used.

+ What Is A Erosion & Sediment Control Plan?

An erosion & sediment control plan is a council requirement which shows the sediment fence detail, seen at the front of construction sites to protect debris from polluting the drains. The other reason for this plan is to indicate on site stockpile areas, site toilet, site office and the security fence line.

+ What Is A Statement Of Environmental Effects

A statement of environmental effects is a report that explains the likely impacts of the proposal. Larger proposals also may require impacts of air, noise, traffic or efficiency to be explained. Standard residential statement of environmental effects are sufficient if they include:

  • The site and it's environment
  • Location of site
  • Site description
  • Exisiting & surrounding development
  • Proposed development
  • Local environmental plan & DCP compliance table
  • Non-compliances
  • Matters for consideration - Section 79C

Can we live in the house during renovations?

This commonly asked question does not always have a straightforward answer. For minor renovations it is normally fine to live in the house however there are cases where it is unsafe such as when structural walls are removed or asbestos removal is needed. 

If renovations are outdoors it is fine to live in the house, if you're alright with the noise!

Other Services

To simplify the process, we offer other key elements required for your development such as surveying and engineering. By using our land surveying and engineering services you will save the hassles and money too!